Sunday 20 November 2011

A Lesson from Sargent


      Just the other day, the orchestra was seated to prepare for recording. Our orchestra director, Craig Cleveland has a yellow lab that has recently had a cute little puppy named Sargent. So on this particular day, Craig brought the puppy down to school for the morning, knowing that we, the members of the orchestra, would not mind having an adorable little puppy sitting in our laps while we played our instruments.
      As it worked out, I was the lucky guy that got to hold the puppy first. So there I sat, playing away on my violin with 4-week-old Sargent sleeping on my lap. I felt like a daddy... I didn't think I would ever get enough of it until suddenly, something changed. As I sat there, I felt a warm, wet sensation settling deeper and deeper between my legs. Yes, you guessed it; Sargent had peed on me.
      I sat there in utter shock and dismay, not knowing what to do. I finally came to grips with the fact that there was no way I was going to get up and out the door without everyone seeing the “accident” that had taken place on my lap. I was furious. I had already had to make an extra trip to the dorm that morning, and this just meant another one. I felt like yelling at someone, or asking why Mr. Cleveland couldn't control and monitor his own dog. But then I bit my tongue. What good would that do? What good would be accomplished if I lashed out in frustration? No good at all. Instead, I approached the situation as something truly humorous (which it was), gave everyone a good laugh, and headed to the dorm.

      The Bible says that one of the hardest things to do is to master the tongue. But it is the mark of a Christian. A true Christian will not lash out at his sister when she purposefully bugs him; a Godly individual will not get frustrated with her boss when he seems to be being unreasonable; a true Christian friend will not gossip behind others' backs; a Christ-like spouse will not yell at his wife when he doesn't think her perspective makes sense; a Christian will control his/her tongue. Let this be a challenge to you! “My beloved brothren, let every man be... slow to speak; slow to wrath.” James 1:19


1 comment: